Thursday, December 8, 2011

connie's chocolate cake

In my last post I mentioned my slight obsession with cookbooks... I really can't get enough.  I'm currently longing for David Lebovitz's Ready for Dessert.  I hope Santa will bring it to me this year.

However, despite the stacks of books beside my bed and on my shelves, the recipes that I truly cherish are the ones collected by my mom.  It really is just a worn out binder filled with scraps of paper.  Some were typed on a type writer! Most are torn out of magazines and newspapers or just handwritten, usually without even a title.  They are old, yellowing and dog earned, stained and sticky, which I think just adds to their charm.  I would be crushed if something were to happen to them.

Here is a recipe for chocolate cake that was written on the back of a super old paper placemat from McDonald's.


I can't believe how long she has kept this!



I kinda tweaked the recipe a bit and used buttermilk instead of regular milk.  I just love baking with buttermilk.  It just makes a really lovely cake.

Sift all dry ingredients together and be sure to use a good quality cocoa 

the recipe make two 8in cakes, but of course I made cupcakes instead, I love using an ice cream scoop 



Connie's Chocolate Cake


For the cake:

2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup buttermilk


  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt
  • Next cream butter and gradually add in sugar and beat until light and fluffy 
  • add eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition
  • Add vanilla
  • Then add in your sifted dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk 
  • divide batter between two 8in round cake pans or makes 24 cupcakes
For the icing:

1 cup butter
4 cups icing sugar, sifted
2 tsp milk
100g dark chocolate, melted
1 tsp vanilla

  • cream butter, then slowly add icing sugar one cup at a time and beat until all the sugar is combined
  • add in milk and mix to combine
  • slowly add the cooled, melted chocolate and vanilla and mix a medium speed until incorporated 
  • increase speed to high and mix until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes
Hope you love this cake as much as I do :)

happy baking
xoxo

Related Posts by Categories



No comments:

Post a Comment

Online Marketing
Top Home-Cooking Sites
submitgooglesitemap.com sitemap generator

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts