Saturday, October 13, 2012

Thanksgiving Pies

Fall and Thanksgiving has got to be my favourite time of year.  I love the weather and the falling leaves and it seems that this holiday is the time for baking pies.  This year my sister in law and I spent the whole afternoon in the kitchen making three kinds of pie: pumpkin, apple and pecan.  I love days when I have time (and help!) to spend in the kitchen baking and thinking about all the things I am thankful for while I am doing it.

For apple and pecan pies I used Gesine Bullock-Prado's book entitled Pie it Forward.  I love her books!   Sugar Baby and Confections of a Closet Master Baker are also fabulous.  You must check them out if you love to bake, the recipes are amazing.

The pumpkin pie was super easy.  It was the same recipe I made last year.  During the fall season at Williams-Sonoma they sell a brand of pecan pumpkin butter from a company called Muirhead.  It comes with a tiny recipe book for pumpkin pie which is simply the pumpkin butter mixed with heavy cream and eggs.  Thats it.  You pour the filling into an unbaked pie shell and 40mins later you have the best pumpkin pie ever...at least I think it's the best pumpkin pie ever.  Here is the pics of the baking we did.

Here is the ingredients for the pumpkin pie filling.  It uses the whole jar of Muirhead Pecan Pumpkin Butter, 3 eggs and heavy cream

Just dump all the above ingredients in a bowl, stir and bake 

The finished pie

To make these cut outs I used a pie cutter set also available from Williams-Sonoma


This recipe I used from Pie it Forward asks that you first sauté the apples for  5mins, then cool down the filling completely before filling your pie shell

Can you see the bits of butter.  That is how you know you will have a flaky crust



Pecan Pie.  I think this one was my favourite


I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and you thought about all the things that you are thankful  for this year.  

Related Posts by Categories



No comments:

Post a Comment

Online Marketing
Top Home-Cooking Sites
submitgooglesitemap.com sitemap generator

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts