Thursday, November 10, 2011

Fall = Apple pie...always

To state that my father has a green thumb would be the understatment of the century.  He has managed to grow a garden, full of tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, potatoes, peppers, chilies, parsley, basil, EVERYTHING every single year since I can remember.  Along with growing vegetables my dad has a slight obession with fruit trees. 
At one time we had a cherry, pear, peach, prune and of course 3 apple trees! They were beautiful, expertly pruned by him and produced the best fruit I've ever had.  Sadly, over the years, many of these beautiful tree's had their day in the sun, but the mighty apple still remains.  Every fall means bushels of apples which we use to make apple sauce, apple crisp and of course apple pie.  I used the recipe from Williams-Sonoma's, The Essentials of Baking cookbook.  If you love baking then you need this book in your life.



I made the double crust recipe for the dough









 For the crust you add very cold, unsalted butter to the dry ingredients and cut the butter into the flour. You can use a pastry cutter like I did here and do it by hand or throw it in the food processor and pulse it, not too finely, you want to see chunks of butter.  Then add in ice water until the mix just comes together to form a ball of dough.  Then cut the ball of dough in half and form into two dics. 




I will never make another apple pie without these two gadgets.  The apple slicer is from, of course where else? Williams-Sonoma!  It cores and cuts the apples.  You can choose how thick or thin you want your apple slices from two different settings. I have pictured here the thinest setting.
I found the pie crust cutter at Home Outfitters.




The pie was excellent and nothing makes your kitchen smell more welcoming and cosy :)

Related Posts by Categories



No comments:

Post a Comment

Online Marketing
Top Home-Cooking Sites
submitgooglesitemap.com sitemap generator

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts